Thursday, October 1, 2009


Lately, I've taken up bread baking. If you're on Facebook and we're friends, you've probably seen some pictures. I don't know how to put pictures in this blog. I'll write, then see if I can figure it out.

It's been fun, and so far there haven't been any disasters. I do need to figure out more about baking with honey instead of sugar though. I've been using a one to one measurement, and I don't think that's accurate.

Anyway, when I first started I had this totally new agey philosophy - ohhhhhhhh, I'm creating things with my own haaaaaaands, and the whole process is supposed to be all cathartic...especially kneading the dough. So the first loaf or two, I tried to think all these good thoughts while I was kneading, bla bla bla.... Well, that didn't really work. It made my mind wander less towards good thoughts and more towards why I have to go through all these efforts to forget bad stuff, and then of course, on to rotten stuff from the recent-ish past.

So I decided to just go with it. Now, when I'm pounding the dough, and throttling it against the cutting board, if "bad" thoughts come into my head, I focus on pounding them into the bread and processing them that way. It gives me GREAT glee and satisfaction to know that those thoughts are in that bread, and I'm going to eat them, take good energy out of them, then poop them out.

Crass, sure. But pooping out bad thoughts beats letting them fester in my brain, am I right?

Now to figure out how to post a picture... Ok, got it. It's at the top of the page now.

Onward and upward!




No comments:

Post a Comment