Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Today was a good day.

I woke up early, so I got a workout in pretty early in the day. Today was "lower body day". Of course, AFTER it's over and I'm all proud of myself for actually doing it, Tom breaks the news to me that I will never be done with squats. Ever. Seriously. He could at least have let me hope.

After that, I had a turkey sandwich and started reading a book called "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Business Don't Work and What to Do about It". It's by a fella named Michael E. Gerber (citation = complete). I'm only a few dozen pages into it, but it's good food for thought. It's making me go back and question some of the ideas I have, which is good. One thing he cautions people to be careful of is starting a business just because you're good at something. Like, I'm super good at, say, sewing potholders, so maybe it seems obvious that I should open a potholder store. However, if I don't plan it out right, all I might end up doing is buying myself a job making potholders. Then, I'm going to work myself to death and end up hating making potholders, PLUS having to do more stuff on top of that. Anyway, I'm going to try to finish the book tonight. It seems like an important step in my world domination quest.

I also had a nice chat with a good friend from my old job. It's good to know that while I was just a number to a few people, I'm not that to my friends. (It also reminded me of a 2 year old resolution to learn to speak Spanish...) Honestly, I know everything happens for a reason, and yes, everything will be fine (already well on the road to that being true), but I really miss my old job. I miss my friends, I miss organizing things, and I'm finding that I really miss managing people. I really liked "running interference" and fighting for my teams. Until my last job, I didn't realize that I would be good at that and like it so much. I hope that can be part of whatever work I do next. Maybe I'm missing a calling - defending the undefended?

Tom and I went to a ballgame with another couple on Saturday, and sure enough...I tried to manage the whole thing. (It can be trying to be married to a project manager, I would imagine!) I think tomorrow I will have to build a spreadsheet or plan some random thing!

Ok, I'm going to get back to that book. I hope you're having a good day, or night!










No comments:

Post a Comment